Lithium batteries are rechargeable batteries in which lithium ions move from the anode to the cathode during discharging and back when charging. They are popular batteries for use in consumer electronics because they provide high energy density, possess no memory effect and have a slow loss of charge when not in use. These batteries come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. Compared to lead-acid batteries, Lithium batteries are lighter and provide a higher open circuit voltage, which allows for power transfer at lower currents. These batteries have the following characteristics:
Features of PACE Lithium Batteries:
Light weight, up to 80% less than a conventional, comparable energy storage lead-acid battery.
Lasts 300-400% longer than lead-acid.
Lower shelf discharge rate (2% vs. 5-8% /month).
Drop-in replacement for your OEM battery.
Expected 8-10 years of battery life.
No explosive gasses during charging, no acid spills.
Environmentally friendly, no lead or heavy metals.
Safe to operate!
The term “Lithium-ion” battery is a general term. There are many different chemistries for lithium-ion batteries including LiCoO2 (cylindrical cell), LiPo, and LiFePO4 (cylindrical/prismatic cell). Ionic mostly focuses on designing, manufacturing and marketing LiFePO4 batteries for its starter and deep cycle batteries.
Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries are a type of lithium battery that provide several advantages over traditional lithium-ion batteries based on LiCoO2 chemistry. LiFePO4 batteries provide much higher specific capacity, superior thermal and chemical stability, enhance safety, improve cost performance, enhanced charge and discharge rates, enhanced cycle life and come in a compact, lightweight package. LiFePO4 batteries an offer a cycle life of over 2,000 charge cycles!
All of the Ionic Lithium batteries that PACE sells are LiFePO4 batteries.
- Ionic Lithium Deep Cycle Batteries provide multiple advantages over standard lead-acid batteries for energy storage use that we’ll outline below:
- Substantially Lighter – Lithium-ion batteries are just a fraction of the weight of the original lead-acid battery.
- More Powerful – Lithium-ion batteries operate at a higher voltage than standard lead-acid batteries, giving you faster engine speed for longer durations. Lead-acid batteries drop to just 12.5V when only 20% of the battery capacity is used, but lithium-ion batteries provide over 12.8V even when only 20% of the battery capacity is left.
- Low Self-Discharge Rate – Lead-acid batteries lose 4%-25% of their charge every month depending on the quality of the plates and separators used. If you leave a vehicle unattended for a month, the lead-acid battery might lose too much power and the vehicle might not start. On the other hand, our lithium battery chemistry loses less than 3% of charge per month; you can go for several months without having to worry.
- Environmental Friendly – Ionic batteries contain no toxic substances. There is no poisonous lead or corrosive sulfuric acid and as a result, no possible way for an explosive gassing event that is common with lead-acid batteries. In addition, there is no need to maintain acid levels or worry about venting like traditional lead-acid batteries do. The only maintenance that ionic batteries require is ensuring that the battery never drains beyond 80% to ensure optimal life.
- Long Lasting – Cheap lead-acid batteries usually only last 1 to 2 years while gel and AGM lead-acid batteries last 3-5 years with proper maintenance. However, ionic’s lithium-ion batteries can provide 8-10 years of use, easily exceeding the life of any lead-acid battery. Battery life depends purely on proper operation and maintenance, so use common-sense and ensure the battery does not drain beyond 80% discharge. If you are replacing a lead-acid battery in two years or less due to deep cycling damage, you will save money in the long run moving to a ionic lithium-ion.
- Fast Recharging – Ionic’s lithium batteries can accept charge current at up to 5 times faster than a lead-acid battery. What’s more, the charge efficiency is about 75% for lead-acid in contrast to 97% for Ionic’s lithium battery. That means less energy is needed to charge and causes less strain on your alternator.
Yes, it’s available. Customized products are available.